Posterous

I’ve never been one to only do one thing at a time or in moderation. Therefore it shouldn’t come as a surprise to note that I have a number of blogs (I’m not going to mention exactly how many!).

One of the things I’ve been doing with my iPhone is playing around with photo apps. There are a number I like but one that took my fancy is called Instagram – and it’s great because you can post your photo (suitably filtered) to a number of sites including Tumblr and Posterous – for me it’s been a way to ‘backup’ some of my images.

After reading a news  email from Posterous today I thought I’d check some different features out.

I’d already discovered the photo gallery – perfect if you have a bunch of photos you want to display on the same subject (this is an example: http://dragonsinger57.posterous.com/butterfly). Posterous has made it easy to do this by enabling you to email the photos as attachments – whatever you put as the subject line becomes the title (here’s an example of emailed gallery: http://dragonsinger57.posterous.com/disney-memories).

There are also a couple of iPhone apps – PicPosterous which allows you to upload pictures; and Posterous which allows you to upload text, pictures and video. I’ve tested both of these and they worked very well. One thing I’m always worried about is the quality of the speech but it seems to be just fine (see this video: http://dragonsinger57.posterous.com/testing-the-video-function).

The last thing that I’ve tested is the podcast function – this might be the thing that sells it for others. Very simple. I recorded a message using Voice Memo on the iPhone. Then I emailed it to Posterous. Within a minute it was up and ready to listen to – only a short recording – but I’m very impressed. (http://dragonsinger57.posterous.com/podcast-testing)

The sheer ease of this podcasting makes it ideal for a classroom setting. Last year my podcasting was cumbersome and I ended up not doing a lot of it. This year – with posterous – i think it will be a lot easier.

Another feature I haven’t tested but am interested in (Clair/Kirsten/Anyone?) is the group feature – from what I understand you can create a site that is a group site – and once again I think that could be handy for a classroom setting where you have teachers and classrooms wanting to collaborate.

7 thoughts on “Posterous

• January 26, 2011 at 9:10 am

Hello Dragonslayer,
    Something that we have in common is multitasking. To be able to do more than one thing at a time is great. Who would not want to accomplish things at a fast rate, which in turn leaves time for other activities? First of all, to be honest I have never heard of Posterous. After doing a little research, I have a better idea of what Posterous is and now know exactly what you are talking about. Posterous is a great tool that you can use to upload just about anything. Posterous is very useful and makes life a little simpler. Being a teacher in the future, I will definitely keep Posterous in mind for my classroom. It is very nice to know that when using Posterous, a teacher or anybody for that matter can upload just about anything and can use it for Twitter, Blogger, Facebook, Flickr, etc. I really like the idea of not having to manually go to any of these networks and post but using Posterous it automatically updates the networks for you. While reading your blog I really liked how you included the example links in your post. I enjoyed looking at them as well as learning how easy Posterous makes everything.

…visitmyblogandcheckouttheedmclassblogandcheckoutmymytwitter<

• January 26, 2011 at 9:13 am

Hello Dragonsinger,

…visitmyblogandcheckouttheedmclassblogandcheckoutmytwitter<

• January 26, 2011 at 9:44 am

The apps sound pretty cool. I do not have a iPhone so I had not heard of them before but now makes me want one. Sounds like it is a very good tool to have in the classroom. I hope I will be able to get one by the time I start teaching. I loved your pictures! Butterflies are so pretty, I love watching them in nature. The Posterous and Podcast turned out well too. Hope you continue to have fun with your iPhone.

• January 26, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Hello Mrs. Jo Fothergill, aka Dragonsinger,
    I am sorry for having to post multiple times on your blog. I had a typo on the first blog. I am very sorry about that!! I am trying to figure out this blogging thing.

• February 4, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Mrs. Jo Fothergill,
    I never really introduced myself on my first comment to you. My name is Tiffany Blanton and I am a student at USA. I am currently in EDM310. I am required to summarize my visits on your blog onto my blog. I will be doing so, here in a day or so, if that is okay with you. It is a requirement for EDM310. Thank you so much!!
    -Tffany Blanton

…visitmyblogand check out theedmclassblog or tweet me: @tblanton1113

• February 10, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Hey Dragonslayer,

My name is Jude Sanford and I was assign to do a summary of your post on my blog. I should have it posted by the end of next week at http://sanfordjudeedm310.blogspot.com/. I did go the link for Instagram, and it showed me another example of why I should get an iPhone. It was a pretty cool app to look at. I would love to be able to put all the pictures together and share it with others. Hope you continue to find more apps with your iPhone.