Stronger together

I’ve been reflecting a lot on my teaching practice over the last few months.

Teaching traditionally has adults working in isolation with age-leveled groups of children. While there is usually an overview set by senior teachers/management/school, what happens in the classroom is a result of how the teacher interprets the overview and presents to students.

I hate teaching like that – it’s not my natural style and I fervently believe it is not in the best interests of the students.

Over the last few months I’ve been having conversations with various colleagues – some at my school and some long distance.

Driving to my friend Jo’s house after school one day we pondered and discussed why we had to work in our year levels – why couldn’t her 5 year olds work with my 9/10 year olds? We wondered what an open plan type classroom might look like.

Meeting my twitter friend @annekenn for the first time in July and starting a conversation that four months later is still continuing, we wondered what a distance collaborative classroom would look like and how we might manage it.

Conversations with my team leader Julie in the middle of our learning street between our two classrooms were about how we can best serve our learners and happened while watching with some bemusement and awe at our learners (a year 4 and year 5 class) intermixed and worked alongside each other (and sometimes even to the point of going for help to the other teacher).

Anne and I started putting together a plan of how we could run our classrooms collaboratively – involving each other’s learners, not just in one-off projects, but in daily/weekly ‘ordinary’ things. We talked about using a collaborative wikispace and guiding our learners into taking ownership of their learning with ePortfolios. We talked (and wrote) about how we could use the wonderful collaborative spaces available to use through Google Apps and wikispaces. Big dreams.

Back home, similar conversations were taking place with Jo, Julie and I. We looked at the slideshow about Hingaia Peninsula’s Learning Studios and asked ourselves how can we do something like that with existing classrooms. We tossed ideas around, talked with our principal and DP and came up with a plan.

Anne has just been here for two days to work with me and my class and to meet up and have conversations with Jo and Julie – because we’re going to merge our two plans. Great to sit and talk with 3 others with a shared vision! And we’re really looking forward to a visit from Jane who is the principal of Hingaia Peninsula School later this month when we can sit down and talk with her about their philosophy around their learning studios.

Because behind the ‘good ideas’ we need to have some firm understanding about why we are doing this. Why collaborate? Why not just teach in the ‘tried and true’ method? We believe that we are stronger together. When we share our strengths and our visions; when we plan and collaborate together; when our strengths complement each other; when we are accountable to others – we are stronger. And being able to give our learners that variety of learning leadership (rather than teaching) has to be more powerful for our learners.

It will be interesting this time next year to look back and see what lessons we’ve learned. I believe that that four of us – Jo, Julie, Anne and I – will be better teachers for the experience. We will have learned alongside our learners – different lessons but similar journey. We have already determined that we will document our journey and any resources we co-create (under a CCbySA license of course).

(I deliberately haven’t talked about how we might set up our learning spaces for next year … that’s for a later blog post!)

7 thoughts on “Stronger together

• November 5, 2011 at 11:12 am

Exciting times! Will be watching eagerly from the sidelines. Go well!

• November 5, 2011 at 11:16 am

Hey this is fantastic! I am really lucky in my school because I teach 7-9 year olds and have 3 buddy classes, one Year 0, a Year 1 and a Year 6 class. We do buddy learning 2-3 times per week and have developed rich, authentic tasks that we work on collaboratively. It has been so powerful! I love the concept of mixing the ages for this, will look forward to reading more as your journey progresses!

• November 5, 2011 at 11:28 am

What an amazing opportunity Jo and team, we are looking forward to collaborating with you long distance and learning from and with you as we begin our learning journey at HPS. Kia Kaha

• November 5, 2011 at 12:42 pm

It is fantastic to see teachers who are willing to be innovative to best serve the interest of their students. I think you got it right that teachers working together not only support each other but learn, challenge and grow through each others knowledge, experiences and teaching styles.

• November 9, 2011 at 5:22 am

Hi!
    My name is Jessica Walker and I am a elementary education major at the University of South Alabama. I am currently taking EDM310 in Dr. Strange’s class. I completely agree with you that teachers are stronger together. In edm310 we are learning all about technology in the classroom. I have learned that using twitter and blogs can help teachers collaborate and share ideas. I have a lot of friends who are also going to school to become a teacher and I know that one day we will be collaborating and sharing ideas. It is great to see that many teachers are onboard with using technology in the classroom and sharing what they are doing on youtube and personal blogs. I hope to have a network of teachers to collaborate with and share ideas of what works and does not work in the classroom.
    Thank you for sharing!
    Jessica Walker

• December 17, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Loving the idea of collaborating with distant classrooms especially with routine based stuff as opposed to special projects. Can’t wait to hear how it all goes.

• January 30, 2012 at 10:15 am

I love the idea of collaborating classrooms. I feel like the “everyday” classroom can be very boring for the students and even the teacher. I am currently going to school to become a secondary education teacher and I strongly believe that the student’s shouldn’t be the only ones learning. I feel like the teachers need to be learning along with the students. Collaborating the classrooms seems like it would really help the teachers grow and learn, along with benefiting the students as well. I hope one day to be able to incorporate different classrooms into my own. Maybe even classrooms from around the world!