I’ve been on a leadership journey this year working alongside a bunch of fantastic teachers. The NAPP (National Aspiring Principals Programme) course has been challenging, exhausting, frustrating, enriching. Here is my leadership inquiry summary!
Last year Tara and I had the privilege of speaking at the Thinking Digital conference in Newcastle, UK. It was an amazing experience – only enhanced by the fact that Sugata Mitra was also speaking – immediately after us! Here’s the video:
25 Jo Fothergill V1 from Thinking Digital on Vimeo.
Just a short post to ask a question – and hopefully get some answers!
What control do you think a school principal/management/BOT should have over whether a teacher is allowed to use twitter or blogger or other social networks to express their opinions on teaching, education etc.?
(This would be on well established personal accounts.)
I am home again after a fantastic 4 days in Christchurch participating in the 10th ULearn conference hosted by Core Ed. Over the next few weeks I’ll be processing the input from the keynotes and sessions I attended. Here’s my summary:
- Unofficial Geocaching workshop – great to introduce newbies to the addiction
- Pecha Kucha session in the Limes Room – I think this was filmed so will find the link for it
- Twitter dinner
- Keynote: Lee Crockett
- Breakout One – this was my workshop <G>
- Breakout Two – Inspiration, Ignition, Impact with Paula Jamieson
- Keynote: Steve Wheeler (aka @timbuckteeth)
- Twitter breakfast
- Keynote: Lane Clark
- Breakout Three – Change, Creativity, Curriculum & Community: Succeeding in Spite of the System – Chris Betcher
- Breakout Four – Apple sMacdown
- Conference Dinner
- Breakout Five – Trades Hall visit – had a quick mini-lesson on the Promethean board
- Breakout Six – eCompetencies – Linking eQuality teaching directly to the Key Competencies with Kellie McRobert
- Keynote: Stephen Heppell
I won a couple of fantastic prizes and must thank the sponsors for those:
- HP: My DP has already responded about the 42″ digital sign I won – we’ve just completed a new admin area and I know it will look fantastic there
- Learning Media: I spent my 2 hours at the airport waiting for my flight reading the teachers manual for the Write Tools – can’t wait to get stuck in – and when Murray Gadd next visits I’ll do a show and tell with him 🙂
And as for the other freebies:
- Xirrus – while I know the t-shirts I got weren’t so much a prize as a giveaway I want to say thanks for them – they’ll fit right into my wardrobe!
- DLink – best gadget ever – the screwdrivers – a must for all us geeks
- Apple sMACdown – my new earbuds are very welcome – they’ll be residing at school – and will be very handy for my kids recording using the iTouch/iPhone
As always one of the huge bonuses is meeting up with my Twitter PLN – it’s great to see the international tweeps here with us kiwis. Thanks to all my PLN the personal input was amazing!
Watch the video and Join1Goal … education for all.